Re: decal finishing help

mforsyth127

Brian J Carlson wrote:

I've not been happy with my last few decaling projects with Testor's
Glosscote. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Brian,

I do a lot of custom brass work (mostly "O" scale but also some "S" and "HO") for clients all over the US and Japan. I also custom paint and letter the completed models. These a VERY demanding folks.

I went through all the common clear topcoats that the hobby traditiionally uses, and then a few years ago, discovered Krylon 1311 Matte Finish. It's the clear, non-yellowing topcoat that is most often used by artists in setting completed charcoal drawings on paper.

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-all-purpose-spray-paint/krylon-spray-paint-464560.aspx

It gives "beyond" fabulous results (sprayed right from the can). I have since totally given up on Testors and other products, and use the 1311 exclusively.

In the past, I have attempted to place images in a folder in the photo section, but since all have to be approved, and none ever have (still waiting), I'd be more than happy to send you a few pics off line of some completed models.

I recently finished off a mega-redetailing, re-powering and painting/lettering of an "O" scale brass PRR I1sa. Again, I would be more than happy to send you or anyone else that would like to see, images of completed models on which I used the 1311 spray.

mforsyth127@...

Matt Forsyth

Modeling the D&H Penn Division/
Erie Jefferson Division