Re: BLI NYC all-steel box cars

pennsylvania1954

Hi Barry--I had to go back and read Richard Hendrickson's piece again. I found that he didn't write "all", which, like "never," is a dangerous word to use in prototype modeling! I have taken the liberty of quoting from his piece here:

"By the 1940s it was becoming necessary to apply patches to the lower sections of the side sheathing on some cars, and these patch panels became increasingly common until, in the late 1950s, most cars had them."

My plan is some with and some without patch panels for my 1953 date.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

--- In STMFC@..., "barryb2again" <Barrybennetttoo@...> wrote:

Having reviewed tha earlier posts and then read the BLI blurb I note that BLI have said that they will not be producing models with repair patches.

Taking Richard Hendrickson's manuscript comments that the cars suffered the same body rot problems as the X29 cars and that all of them received patch panel repairs then the BLI cars are not much use as produced for anyone that models the 1950's.

So it looks like buy undecs, add patch panels and then paint and decal. Or maybe I will just build my store of Westerfield kits instead.

Barry Bennett