From: _Barrybennetttoo@... (mailto:Barrybennetttoo@...)
<_Barrybennetttoo@... (mailto:Barrybennetttoo@...) >
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: BLI NYC all-steel box cars
To: _STMFC@... (mailto:STMFC@...)
Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2010, 2:35 PM

Yes, I know that is the work I have to do.

My patch panel plans are to use thick (ie Champ or left over Walthers)
decal sheet, which should produce enough of an edge to the panels without
the
add-on crudity of thin plastic sheet, which isn't thin enough at any grade
can get.

I suppose another alternative would be thin plastic sticky tape, but my
gut
feeling is that the decal film will be infinitely easier.

Cheers

Barry Bennett

_prrk41361@... (mailto:prrk41361@...) writes:

Barry: As discussed recently on the list you'll have to reroof your
westerfield cars and add patch panels for your era. Additing Patch panels
painted cars is not that difficult. I've done it to the RC X29's before
the
newest runs.
brian carlson

--- On Tue, 6/8/10, barryb2again <__Barrybennetttoo@...
(mailto:_Barrybennetttoo@...) _
(mailto:_Barrybennetttoo@... (mailto:Barrybennetttoo@...) ) >

From: barryb2again <__Barrybennetttoo@...
(mailto:_Barrybennetttoo@...) _
(mailto:_Barrybennetttoo@... (mailto:Barrybennetttoo@...) ) >
Subject: [STMFC] Re: BLI NYC all-steel box cars
To: __STMFC@... (mailto:_STMFC@...) _
(mailto:_STMFC@... (mailto:STMFC@...) )
Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2010, 12:02 PM

I read, and filed, Richard's piece before I mailed and ...

" By the 1940s it was becoming necessary to apply patches to the lower
sections of the side sheathing on some cars, and these patch panels
became increasingly common until, in the late 1950s, most cars had
them."

As I model 1957 then 'most cars had them' applies.

It seems to me a little odd to offer late 50's paint schemes on pristine
un-patched bodies. Because of the extra work I'll pass on them and build
up my Westerfields instead.

Barry Bennett

--- In __STMFC@... (mailto:_STMFC@...) _
(mailto:_STMFC@... (mailto:STMFC@...) ) , "Steve
Hoxie" <stevehprr@...> wrote:

Hi Barry--I had to go back and read Richard Hendrickson's piece again.
I found that he didn't write "all", which, like "never," is a dangerous
word to use in prototype modeling! I have taken the liberty of quoting
from his piece here:

"By the 1940s it was becoming necessary to apply patches to the lower
sections of the side sheathing on some cars, and these patch panels
became increasingly common until, in the late 1950s, most cars had
them."

My plan is some with and some without patch panels for my 1953 date.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

--- In __STMFC@... (mailto:_STMFC@...) _
(mailto:_STMFC@... (mailto:STMFC@...) ) ,
"barryb2again" Barrybennetttoo@ wrote:

Having reviewed tha earlier posts and then read the BLI blurb I note
that BLI have said that they will not be producing models with repair
patches.

Taking Richard Hendrickson's manuscript comments that the cars
suffered the same body rot problems as the X29 cars and that all of them
received patch panel repairs then the BLI cars are not much use as
produced for anyone that models the 1950's.

So it looks like buy undecs, add patch panels and then paint and
decal. Or maybe I will just build my store of Westerfield kits instead.

Barry Bennett