From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Charles R Yungkurth
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:44 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Excuses for getting more covered (cement) hoppers?

A huge amount of rock salt for use on icy highway was sent in old PS-2
covered hoppers in upstate NY every fall. Most of this originated on the
Genesee & Wyoming which served a huge sale mine at Retsof.

The G&W seemd to get "basket case" hoppers from all over the country to meet
this traffic every fall. I recall cars from MILW and other midwest roads.
Seems as though hauling rock salt was the last use before the scrap line! The
G&W had their own cars for hauling salt for the food and chemical industry.

Chuck Y
Boulder CO