Re: HOBBY BLACK

I remember way back when, we used Nickel Chloride as a blackener.

Rich Christie

--- On Wed, 6/16/10, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: HOBBY BLACK
To: STMFC@...
Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 3:00 PM

Hobby Black's active ingredient is the poison selinium dioxide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium_dioxide

You might be able to find it, or similar chemicals, at a gun shop.

Tim O'Connor

At 6/16/2010 03:15 PM Wednesday, you wrote:
I used Hobby Black many years ago and dont recall any chipping or flaking. I worked in a factory that used a similar chemical coloring process referred to as "Black Oxide" finish. This chemically etches the the surfaces and adheres to the metal. I am wondering if the chipping you refer too may actually be a spot where the metal surfacre may not have been 100% clean and the process didn't make the bond.

Other than that I dont have much else to offer. The oxidation should adere and bond with the metal and its not like a paint coating.

Robert Federle