Re: HOBBY BLACK

Charles Hladik

Robert,
Bill may have been using A-West's "Blacken it". For what ever reason,
it does not always give complete "coverage".
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 6/16/2010 3:15:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rfederle@cox.net writes:

I used Hobby Black many years ago and dont recall any chipping or flaking.
I worked in a factory that used a similar chemical coloring process
referred to as "Black Oxide" finish. This chemically etches the the surfaces and
adheres to the metal. I am wondering if the chipping you refer too may
actually be a spot where the metal surfacre may not have been 100% clean and
the process didn't make the bond.

Other than that I dont have much else to offer. The oxidation should adere
and bond with the metal and its not like a paint coating.

Robert Federle

---- WILLIAM PARDIE <_PARDIEW001@HAWAII.RR.COM_
(mailto:PARDIEW001@HAWAII.RR.COM) > wrote:

Many modelers have recommended using a chemical blackener on hand
grabs prior to installing and painting.
Therefore you would not have a bright spot later should some of the
paint chip off. I just tried this product on
some brass number board frames. The product claims that it does not
chip or rub off. Not true in my case. I cleaned
down to bare brass and tries again with the same result. I recall
when this product first came out they claimed
that engines were being "painted" with this. Has anyone had any
experience?

Thanks in advance:

Bill Pardie