From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thu, Jun 17, 2010 3:51 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Commercial Inland Ry Box Car

The photo is interesting because you can see the floor plates.

I think these were available at one time as etched parts from

Sunshine... I have seen them in only a couple of photos.

Also note the CB&Q flat car (8922x) to the right, and the UP

box car to the left.

Tim O'Connor

http://media.digitalarchives.wa.gov/WA.Media/do/FC82059AECD18CDAE08BF23FA386DCCD.jpg

You've found a great example of the Dr. P. H. Martin school of photo retouching
:-)

If you click on the "View larger image" then right click the image, you should
open a version that you can zoom in on. It's a Great Northern car, as evidenced

by the Great Northern Railway equipment trust lettering on the upper left corner

of the car side; just to the left on the car end you can see the brush stroke

that obliterated the end reporting mark. The fanciful lettering scheme was an

attempt to cover the rest of the GN markings with something relatively

believable, kind of like the AAR's East & West R.R. This sort of thing was done

from time to time when a company wanted to use a photo in an ad and didn't want

to appear to show favoritism to one railroad over another, although the more

usual way to do this was to simply airbrush the identifying marks out on the

print.

Dennis

Individual Email | Traditional

(Yahoo! ID required)