Re: What tank cars would be most appropriate . . .

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 21, 2010, at 12:32 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Tony, what I meant is that the ORER info -combined- with the
Proto 2000 lettering can help you decide whether the car is
appropriate for your era. So far I haven't heard about any
bogus schemes or car numbers on the P2K cars although many are
too early for me.
Since I worked as a consultant with Larry Grubb at Life-Like on the
development of the P2K tank cars, I can assure you that all of the P/
L schemes were accurate and were based on prototype photographic
evidence from the late 1940s and 1950s. I will add that Walthers,
after taking over the P2K line, issued a run of tank cars with KC air
brakes and late 1920s/1930s P/L schemes. Those P/L schemes were also
based on prototype photographic evidence, but that evidence dated
from well before the periods modeled by most STMFC list subscribers,
and in some cases the P/L schemes were short-lived on the prototype
cars. Questions about which P/L schemes were current at a specific
point in time can usually (though not always) be answered with some
precision, but for obvious reasons that's not true for questions
about "the 1930s" or "the 1950s," much less for "the 1930s through
the 1950s." It may be added that private owners (e.g., Texaco,
Magnolia, Shell, Mobil) tended to repaint their tank cars, and to
update P/L schemes, more frequently than large leasing companies like
General American, Union Tank Line, and Shippers Car Line. Of course,
in some cases you can justify running a model with an earlier P/L
scheme (e.g., prewar Kanotex and Magnolia billboard cars) at a later
period if the model is sufficiently weathered and dirty, though that
approach must obviously be used with caution. It's also worth noting
that billboard private owner tank cars were relatively rare in the
tank car fleet as a whole; more or less dirty "plane-Jane" black cars
were far more common.

Richard Hendrickson