Re: What tank cars would be most appropriate . . .

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 21, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:
I have the A. E. Staley corn syrup car in the orange paint scheme.
The car has a built date of 1920... but the tiny lettering on the
right side has a stencil date of 1953. So I know that car is ok for
me. A 1920's version of the same car probably was black.
There was a silver Staley scheme too, IIRC. I think Drake did it
on their brass GATC 8k car--possibly valid.
As it happens, I supplied photos and data for the Drake brass tank
cars as well, and the 8K GATC Type 30 AESX model in aluminum with
black stenciling was, like the others, based on photographic
evidence. The aluminum and black scheme was the company standard for
Staley cars in the 1930s and '40s until the orange scheme began to
appear in the early 1950s. It's worth noting that the Staley tank
car fleet was operated for them under AESX reporting marks by the
North American Car Corp.

Richard Hendrickson