Professor Maury N. Klein (URI) <was> Gould Railroad Standard Wooden Cabooses -

mbcarson2002

Tony,

I always appreciate leads to authors presenting alternate interpretations of accepted fact, particularly those I was unaware of. Professor Klein appears to a prolific author, who it appears has a donated collection at the St. Louis Mercantile Library. His paper, Jay Gould: A Revisionist Interpretation, (available on line) makes a cogent argument that the elder Gould isn't fully appreciated. I am more likely to read Professor Klein's book about Harriman rather Gould. As it appears George Gould, the son, was completely outclassed Harriman, both as a businessman and a railroad tycoon.

Mike Carson

Mike Carson wrote:
I'll suggest the Gould family (Jay & later George) practiced an
extractive management style where the stockholder dividend was
paramount and every thing else secondary.
If you really think this about Jay Gould, you need to read
Maury Klein's bio of Gould, which explodes many of the tired and
inaccurate jibes directed at Jay for decades. George, on the other
hand, appears to have been either incompetent or consumed with visions
of impossible glory. There's little evidence George generated much in
the way of dividends to anyone but himself.

Publishers of books on railroad history