Re: Branchline and other box cars offerings

Armand Premo

Paul,I quess you missed my point,or I did not express myself clearly.A manufacturer can market both kits and RTR.Most often a run of a basic car body type can be decorated for multiple prototypes.Some minor changes might be necessary to match a specific prototype.This will,or should, provide the necessary mass to attain profit of which you speak and also provide for the hobbyist who prefers ready to run and for those who prefer to build kits.To abandon the kit makers is essentially reducing the size of the market pool.The production of more modern prototypes further reduces the capital available for STMFCs......................... For the most part resin kits provide variety.I dread the thought of RTR resin <G>.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: cobrapsl@aol.com
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Branchline and other box cars offerings

Armand,

We have this discussion a number of times on this list. There is no way to compare the sales of resin kits to extruded plastic kits. I BIG run of a resin model is 300. Someone like Intermountain needs to sell a 1000 plus kits JUST to recovery the cost of the tooling! A "humble" math exerise here should explain the problem. 1000 kits to pay for the tooling and 1000 kits for a reason return on there investment, means the manufacturer needs to sell 2000 kits, at a minimum, to have a reasonably successful model! My numbers are probably low. So with sales of 300, the resin manufacturer is beaming from ear to ear; and if he managed to sell 2000 kits the plastic manufacturer is wondering if he wants to do that again. If plastic manufacturers could make a profit on 300 kits, I suspect we would have a model of every prototype freight car that was ever been built.

Paul Lyons