From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, Jun 23, 2010 10:50 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] NP Truss Rod Reefers

On Jun 23, 2010, at 9:02 PM, cobrapsl@aol.com wrote:

I recently bought a HO scale W&R brass Northern Pacific wood reefer
with a "fishbelly" center sill and a truss rod outboard on each
side. The car has the standard NP radial roof and a vertical brake
staff. It has a 1917 build date and is painted in company service
with a 1937 date, I believe the correct number series for these
cars were #94400-899; and #94900-95999. Road number of the model is
94564. My question is how long did these car run in revenue
service. Looking in my 1944 ORES, it shows 471 cars in these two
series and 62 are still shown in the 1950 ORES. I am having trouble
believing there were still 62 truss rod reefers running in revenuse
service in 1950. Was there maybe a re-numbering in the late 40's?
Any info is greatly appreicated.

Paul Lyons
Paul, your doubts are unfounded. Remember. those cars had fishbelly
steel center sills which took all the pulling and buffing forces; the
truss rods only supported the side sills. The cars were never
renumbered and the ORER data on cars remaining in service is correct.

Richard Hendrickson