Re: Branchline and other box cars offerings

frograbbit602

Geen Green wrote, "The thing that puzzles me is why models get sent all the way to China for assembly. That seems to add about $10.00 to the price of each car. Couldn't some enterprising, Spanish-speaking model railroader set up a kit assembly plant in Mexico?"

Why? Labor. In preparing plant budgets several years ago for a company the average China plant worker's annual salary was $ 3,000. As for Mexico, the company I contracted with closed Mexico plants and built plants in China due to the cheaper labor to which added cost such as shipping still made the China produced product less expensive then Mexico produced product.

Lester Breuer