Re: Wabash 50' #19000-19124 Autocar #19000-19124

mopacfirst

I also am 'working on one'. The doors actually went onto a MoPac car that I did, but the under-door bracing is still going to go onto a Wabash car. Chet French graciously sent me a couple extra photos, from which I concluded that the roofwalk is very likely wood based on how the latitudinal running boards are attached. I also concluded that the trucks are one of those with the two outer springs pretty far apart, such as the Accurail 'Bettendorf' truck.

You may not care about this, but it appears that the lower numbered cars in this block had Youngstown doors. The break was reported to be around 19050, but no evidence shows the exact point. There was also a group of end-door cars, 18000-18024, which appears to have Youngstown doors.

I screwed up the first time, trying to mount the reinforcement under the edge of the sill. Actually, it's supposed to mount behind the sill, and the vertical portions of the end on the resin piece go behind the plastic. Mine are still salvageable, but I'm waiting now until I feel like stripping another Life-Like car. You may need to file a bit of clearance between the resin parts and the underframe, but the fit is so sloppy on the Life-Like car it may not be necessary.

Ron Merrick

Paul

The Wabash Freight Car Equipment listing of 12/1964 lists many
specs for 19000-19124 but has no column at all for running boards.
But since the cars were built in 1942, wood running boards were
still legal for new car construction at that time.

For the trucks it only says "Bettendorf Self Aligning". I can safely
say they are NOT ASF A-3 or Barber S-2 since the listings show those
under many other cars. So pick a pre-war "Bettendorf" and you'll be
close.

Interestingly the listings show VULCAN trucks used on several groups
of box cars in 1964, including some built in 1960. Wabash sometimes
recycled old trucks on new freight cars.

Tim O'Connor

I am finishing one of the Sunshine "Mini" kits. It is one where a Proto 2000 double door boxcar is converted to a Wabash auto car in the #19000-19124 series. The photo that is part of the instructions is not very clear, therefore, I need a little help to finish it accurately. Can someone tell what trucks were used on the prototype? Also, the instructions says the prototype used a wood running board, but in the photo the running board looks awful "thin" like it might be steel. Can someone confirm the running board on the prototype was wood?

Any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Paul Lyons