Re: Drill source

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Most of the drills "with the collets" are carbide, an excellent very sharp tool, but very brittle. As a result, they should really only be used in a drill press or other fixed drill source, not with the usual hand-held power tool or pin vise.

BTW, one can never have enough pin vises, or "there are only a few pin vises that I haven't liked".

I will second Jack Burgesses comments on Otto Frei. I have found so much GOOD tool stuff there over the years, and they still carry truly fine, precise, and/or sharp Swiss, Japanese, and German tools that in the total scheme of things still allow us to achieve both a real satisfaction and a true economy.

By the way, Frei has some absolutely excellent small brass French-made pin vises that are easy in the hand, and perfectly-center c. 70-80 drills.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento