From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
ed_mines
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 11:04 AM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: RDG/B&O "expert"

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gatwood,
Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Ed;

Were RDG hoppers ever used to ship bituminous coal shipped from the B&O?
Are you asking if reading hoppers even got routed onto the B&O and
were loaded at a mine served by the B&O? If so, of course. I saw many
RDG hoppers on both B&O and PRR.

Any off road hoppers?
You could have seen just about anything, but of course, nearby roads
were best represented.

How does "HO" scaled bituminous coal differ in appearance from "HO"
scale
anthracite? I'd expect the later to be very shiny (glossy) - even to
the extent of using actual anthracite.

Yes, bituminous is fairly dusty looking, and chunks of anthracite
could tend to be shinier. There are model loads that represent both well.

Elden Gatwood
Thanks for you reply.

I've heard that some roads like C&O requested that their hoppers be returned
empty and not loaded off line. Do you know of other roads with this policy?

I can't recall seeing a C&O hopper in any SE anthracite region photos.

Ed