From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dean
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 2:06 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: W&LE gon and great load

Walthers made a half-way decent RTR model of these, but it was lettered for
the wrong series, (71000 instead of 70000), and had a wood floor instead of
steel. The wire grabs had to be added, I didn't correct the road number or
any other details.
The car looks pretty beat up for only being 2 years old! It was a rough life,
I'm sure...

Dean Payne

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Eric"
<eric@...> wrote:

Eldon,

It looks like the gon has W&LE number 70570. These were built in March and
April of 1916 by Standard Steel Car and Pressed Steel Car. This design seems
to have been a major influence on the USRA mill gon design. W&LE series
70000-70599 was 597 cars of 46-foot length. 70-ton capacity, all-steel
construction, 3-foot interior height, and 12 exterior posts. This car and
more of the W&LE 1926 freight car fleet were just reviewed at my blog:
http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/

The page text for the Critical Past film clip notes these cars were an
"extra long railroad car". As the film was shot in 1918, a 46-foot car would
be longer than most gondolas of that time.

I've got nothin' on that gun tube.

Eric

Eric Hansmann
Chagrin Falls, Ohio

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gatwood,
Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@> wrote:

....from Bethlehem in 1918

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675044664_manufacture-of-ordnanc
e_Bethleh em-Steel-company-plant_freight-train_cannons

So, what do you know about that great W&LE gon? How about that gun tube?

Elden Gatwood