From: Clark and Eileen <cepropst@q.com>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Fri, Jul 9, 2010 2:59 pm
Subject: [STMFC] open car doors

It's common knowledge on this group that doors were to be closed on cars in transit.

I grew up less that a half block from the CGW in Marshalltown IA then even closer to the M&StL in Mason City IA.

What about those trains do I remember?
I remember the make up of the CGW trains (usually) TOFC behind the motors, their little sparsely lettered X29 style box cars sprinkled through the train and a cut of tank cars in front of the caboose.
All's I remember about the M&StL freights, other than them going fast through town, was open box car doors. There must have been enough of them to impressed me. I always had the doors open on my Lionel box cars.

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa