Re: What tank cars would be most appropriate for roads operating around Chicago...

Schuyler Larrabee

The nomenclature refers to the location of the SEAM, not the orientation of
the rivets.

SGL

I disagree with Kurt on this; consider radial aircraft engines.
Are the cylinders arranged pointed into the fuselage? No, they
are arranged around the circumference. The rivets arranged radially
on a tank car are each on a radius drawn from the center of the
tank. That is what makes them radial. (I'm not making this up;
look it up in a dictionary.)

A tank car is not a cylinder. If it were, we'd call them cylinder
cars.

Tim O'Connor

At 7/10/2010 02:07 PM Saturday, you wrote:
But radial is so much easier to type than circum... whatever.

Jim Hayes

There are three directions on a cylinder: axial/longitudinal, radial, and
tangential/circumferential.

=======
=======

=======