From: LOUIS WHITELEY <octoraro1@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Auto Frames Shipped in Gondollas...
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, July 11, 2010, 8:51 PM

Earlier than your time period, but the October 1948 ORER lists Wabash gondolas
fitted for frame loading:

16 cars in the series 12500 - 12599 for Mercury-Lincoln frames;
35 cars in the same series for Ford passenger frame loading; and
101 cars in the series 13000 - 13249 for "Gear Frame" loading (ORER's quotes),
whatever that is.  These were differentiated from other cars in the series
with the A.A.R. Mechanical Designation GBS.

As Mr. Hendrickson, the PRR had gondolas with racks for frames.  I recall a
photo in "The Pennsy" magazine of a DT&I gondola with frames at a Ford assembly
plant in Chester, PA in the the mid-50s.

Lou Whiteley