Re: Model Railroad Magazine index is no more

Charlie Vlk

Imperfect as it was, the index was an invalubable resource.

The ideal would be a ProQuest style completely searchable index with pdf images of all the MR magazines... including content of photos.
For example, if there was an issue of Trains magazine that had a shot on page 83 of the March, 1945 issue of a PRR J with a freight train in the background, the cars that were visible in the photo would also be indexed as well as the locomotive, location of the photo, etc....

I know that is a very tall order but if a non-profit group took over the index at least the filling out of the index and correction of the errors (and bringing it forward to current issues) could be done by splitting up the work among many people. As magazines were finally digitized the index could be applied to make the images searchable.

There is a lot of valuable material in the old magazines but few have access to them. I am trying to complete my collection (I have MR complete back to about 1945) but finding old issues at reasonable prices is hit or miss. Finding old Railroad Model Craftsman and other titles is even more difficult.

Charlie Vlk