Re: Thomas (was Bachmann Announcements at the NMRA 2010 Train Show)

rwitt_2000

Gene Green wrote:

Gentlemen and a lady or two, I hope,

Let us not dismiss Thomas too lightly.

I worked as a weekend volunteer in the RR museum in El Paso. Parents
brought in youngsters in approximately the 4 to 10 age range who were
slobbering Thomas fanatics. In most cases the interest in Thomas was
easily directed towards the real thing. That applied not only to
children but their mothers in a number of cases as well. No fathers,
just mothers.

Thomas may deliver the next generation of modelers.
I have to agree with Gene on this one. Our club exhibited with a
railroad museum in Indiana for two weekends for a "Day Out with Thomas".
We had 14,000 view the layout. There were boys and girls who spent over
an hour quietly watching the model trains run. Some would bring a parent
back three or four times to look at the operating model trains. Whether
their other life experiences will allow them to become model railroaders
and especially freight car modelers only time will tell., but some
already were very serious about trains.

Regards,

Bob Witt