Accurail steel reefers

Bill Welch

The hinged or swing door example from Accurail appears to be an accurate representation of one group of 250 cars (WFEX 68400-68640) built for WFE by Pacific Car & Foundry in 1949 characterized by the hinges more or less shaped like a "home plate," double rows of rivets, and 7' 6" doors. The door height will make this a problematic kit to rework to represent other post-1948 FGE/WFE/BRE/NX cars. I will buy one undec. to carve and sculpt a WFE model. The model appears to lack the fan drive mechanism representations which will be easy to add. I will be curious to see what brake wheel they do, generic or actual.

The center sill step appears accurate for the WFE hinged door model but is not accurate for any FGE/WFE/BRE/NX sliding door reefer. Aside from this easy fix, this appears to a good representation of most of the FGE/WFE/BRE/NX sliding door fleet. There were some variations of the improved Dreadnaught end within the sliding door cars. Again there is no fan mechanism represented.

As I already have several Sunshine kits to do the sliding door cars, I will probably buy only one undec. of this model to carve and sculpt and rework the sill to model a FGE 1949 PC&F steel rebuild of a wood- sheathed car (FGEX 59900-59999).

I have sent a PDF to Mike B. of a large table I have created of the FGE/WFE/BRE/NX steel reefer fleet.

Bill Welch