From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
lnbill
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:18 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Adventures in modeling EJ&E boxcar models

Influenced as I remember by an article in one of the two books of
compilations of their freight cars articles that RMJ published about 1990 (or
was that MR'ing), that discussed the postwar steel cars with improved
Dreadnaught ends and 10' IH, I lowered the height of a C&BT six-inches by
sawing the roof off and reattaching it, reinforcing the carbody with styrene
before I started cutting. Much to my surprize I was able to keep everything
straight and even. After discarding everything else except the underframe and
maybe the trucks, and adding finer body details (using some of the C&BT
detail part to plug the holes in the body) and AB brakes, I painted it in the
green & orange scheme planning to use the correct Walthers decals.

This was where the model became a challenge. The decals were not opaque
enough! I put in a quick order directly to Walthers for two or three more
sets, which just happened to be in stock. Then I carefully applied at least
two more layers of decals to achieve the proper look. I explained in a note
to Walthers what I was doing and the person responding to my order said they
had had to do the same on another model.

A decade and half later, I had to do the same with some Microscale decals to
create two Clinchfield F-5's and two GP-7's. These are grey with yellow trim
and stenciling. If you are not familiar with the CRR diesels, their paint
scheme included parallel yellow horizontal stripes which on F-units follow
the riveted batten strips. All I can say is thank goodness for "Opti-Visor.
The success with the boxcar gave me confidence that it would work with the
diesels.

Bill Welch