From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] SAL XM-1 Boxcar (B4)
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, July 17, 2010, 5:48 PM

On Jul 17, 2010, at 2:45 PM, wdarnaby@att.net wrote:

I am assembling a Sunshine SAL XM-1 box, kit 91.9 and it would seem
that the UF is incorrect.  The SAL used a non-standard fish-belly
UF which the model does have.  However, it is cast with a pair of
cross-bearers, one under each door post, which prevents the brake
cylinder from lining up with the lever slot in the UF.  In fact, if
one were modeling the KC brake version it would be impossible to
mount the combined cylinder and reservoir.  The photos in the
instructions and those in RP Cyc #18 are muddy and dark in this
area.  But if one squints closely as the photos it appears that
there is only one cross-bearer centered centered under the door.
This would make sense as there are some sill rivets under the door
that would otherwise do nothing and this arrangement would allow
mounting of the brake cylinder, especially the KC.  Anybody have
better photos that show this or other evidence?
Bill, I'm sending you two detail shots of SAL B4s which clearly show
two crossbearers aligned with the edges of the door opening.  They
clearly show the locations of the AB valve and reservoir but not,
unfortunately, the cylinder.  I'm also sending a detail shot of a B5
which clearly shows a single crossbearer centered under the door
openings.  It clearly shows the location of the AB reservoir though,
again, not the cylinder.  So apparently the kit underframe is correct
for the B4s with wood doors but not for the B5s with corrugated steel
doors.

Richard Hendrickson