From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kurt
Laughlin
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 8:52 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Hercules Powder tankcar et al.

I used to work for Hercules. They were formed around 1905 by the break-up of
DuPont's monopoly on explosives. They made gunpowder, blasting powder,
dynamite and other explosives. During WW II they operated several
explosive/ammunition plants for the Government. After the war they became
involved in the rocket industry and were still making them until they were
sold/spun-off/bought out by Alliant TechSystems post-1989. They also had
large industrial chemical and plastics businesses. I think now they just make
specialty chemicals.

. . . And further looking finds this article mentiong some business areas and
chemicals:

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Hercules-Inc-Company-History
.html

KL