From: Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tue, Jul 20, 2010 11:31 am
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Hercules Powder tankcar et al.

Kurt;

Do you know anything about Hercules involvement in Pennsylvania Industrial

Chemical Co. (PICCO)? They were a big producer of resins, and I think

someone told me Hercules bought them. They had patents to stuff like

Piccolastic and such. PICCO received tank car loads of petroleum, at their

Clairton, PA plant, then processed to produce these resins, some of which

were used in the rubber industry. I have always wanted to know more details

about that operation as it pertains to freight car traffic, particularly.

Elden Gatwood

From: Gatwood, Elden J SAD

I had done some research on Hercules Powder and predecessors some time ago,

and had only been able to find out info that they made industrial solvents

and resins, most or all of which was shipped in either 103's or 104's. I am

unaware of any pressurized tanks they had painted, or products that would

have required same.

Some of the other cars are also painted as liquid chlorine cars, whioch was

also not shipped in big 105's, AFAIK.

Individual Email | Traditional

(Yahoo! ID required)

STMFC-digest@...