Re: Hercules Powder tankcar et al.

Nathaniel Gould

An interesting article I came across regarding Hercules Powder and it's relationship to the dawn of the plastics age:

http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/it/1990/1/1990_1_44.shtml

A few plant locations are mentioned which could lend themselves to further research...

Nate Gould

--- In STMFC@..., "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

I had done some research on Hercules Powder and predecessors some time ago,
and had only been able to find out info that they made industrial solvents
and resins, most or all of which was shipped in either 103's or 104's. I am
unaware of any pressurized tanks they had painted, or products that would
have required same.

Some of the other cars are also painted as liquid chlorine cars, whioch was
also not shipped in big 105's, AFAIK.

The only one that seemed plausible, but I have no proof of this application,
is the (Barrett?) anhydrous car, which product was shipped in big pressurized
tanks.

Elden Gatwood