Re: Hercules Powder tankcar et al.

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Rich;

Thanks for the info. It is no coincidence that those contaminants are also
by-products of coking, too, and that benzol, naptha, xylol and such were
products at USS Clairton. I understand from talking to someone at EPA that
the West Elizabeth site was not only the dump for the Clairton plant, but
that they dumped huge amounts of waste there such that the groundwater
beneath and downslope was contaminated very badly. That being said, it seems
the remediation has been largely successful.

Someone told me PICCOP hauled that waste cake off-site in dump trucks;
however, PICCO also had a small siding and fenced-in area in West Elizabeth
that I at one time had an aerial photo of, where it appeared they dumped used
equipment and such. I can't find any record of it in older PRR records, so I
have no idea how long it was in service, but I would guess PICCO could load
up old equipment in a gon or box car and take it up the Mon to that site to
dump.

I wish I could find that photo!

Elden Gatwood

Elden:
Hercules bought PICCO in 1973 well after the time frame of this list.

If the waste from the plant gives you any hint of activities, they buried
85,000 tons of hazardous waste in Jefferson Borough. The site is on the
National Priority List. Items disposed were benzene, styrene, naphthalene,
lead, clay polycake and dechlor polycake from resin filters. These wastes
were generated by PICCO at the Clariton plant from 1950 - mid 1980's (covers
time frame for list)

Rich Orr

From: STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
From: Gatwood, Elden J SAD

I had done some research on Hercules Powder and predecessors some time ago,

and had only been able to find out info that they made industrial solvents

and resins, most or all of which was shipped in either 103's or 104's. I am

unaware of any pressurized tanks they had painted, or products that would

have required same.

Some of the other cars are also painted as liquid chlorine cars, whioch was

also not shipped in big 105's, AFAIK.

(Yahoo! ID required)

STMFC-digest@... <mailto:STMFC-digest%40yahoogroups.com>

STMFC-fullfeatured@...
<mailto:STMFC-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

<mailto:STMFC-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/