From: Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wed, Jul 21, 2010 7:28 am
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Hercules Powder tankcar et al.

Rich;

Thanks for the info. It is no coincidence that those contaminants are also

by-products of coking, too, and that benzol, naptha, xylol and such were

products at USS Clairton. I understand from talking to someone at EPA that

the West Elizabeth site was not only the dump for the Clairton plant, but

that they dumped huge amounts of waste there such that the groundwater

beneath and downslope was contaminated very badly. That being said, it seems

the remediation has been largely successful.

Someone told me PICCOP hauled that waste cake off-site in dump trucks;

however, PICCO also had a small siding and fenced-in area in West Elizabeth

that I at one time had an aerial photo of, where it appeared they dumped used

equipment and such. I can't find any record of it in older PRR records, so I

have no idea how long it was in service, but I would guess PICCO could load

up old equipment in a gon or box car and take it up the Mon to that site to

dump.

I wish I could find that photo!

Elden Gatwood

Elden:

Hercules bought PICCO in 1973 well after the time frame of this list.

If the waste from the plant gives you any hint of activities, they buried

85,000 tons of hazardous waste in Jefferson Borough. The site is on the

National Priority List. Items disposed were benzene, styrene, naphthalene,

lead, clay polycake and dechlor polycake from resin filters. These wastes

were generated by PICCO at the Clariton plant from 1950 - mid 1980's (covers

time frame for list)

Rich Orr

From: STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>

[mailto:STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of

Kurt

Laughlin

Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 8:52 PM

To: STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>

I used to work for Hercules. They were formed around 1905 by the break-up of

DuPont's monopoly on explosives. They made gunpowder, blasting powder,

dynamite and other explosives. During WW II they operated several

explosive/ammunition plants for the Government. After the war they became

involved in the rocket industry and were still making them until they were

sold/spun-off/bought out by Alliant TechSystems post-1989. They also had

large industrial chemical and plastics businesses. I think now they just make

specialty chemicals.

. . . And further looking finds this article mentiong some business areas and

chemicals:

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Hercules-Inc-Company-History

.html

KL