From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Steve Lucas
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:59 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: model car weight

Pierre--

The semi-scale wheels are still to NMRA RP-25 specs, so their treads still
occupy the same surface area on the rails as Code 110 wheelsets. I think
that what we're seeing is better rolling wheelsets because of the
near-universal use of metal wheelsets by STMFC modellers, and the improved
quality of the needlepoint axle ends on them.

As for car weight, I've read from several sources that opine that
consistency in weight is important, not slavish adherance to NMRA specs.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Pierre"
<pierre.oliver@...> wrote:

With the growing use of semi-scale wheel sets and their improved rolling
characteristics, has anyone done any research or have an opinion on the
suggested weight of model freight cars?
I thought I had heard one opinion that the the NMRA RP for car weight are
somewhat heavy for today's better rolling models.
Thanks,
Pierre Oliver