From: Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thu, Jul 22, 2010 12:03 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Interesting painting instructions

With all the recent talk on painting, I have here some interesting
instructions from the PRRT&HS files:

For class X29D (X29 rebuilds),

General: Car sides, door, ends and roof sheets seam caps to be painted (one
coat with synthetic freight car primer)...

And then that the entire car be painted with synthetic freight car paint.

So, why no primer on the roof sheets? Did this whole thing confuse the
shops? Apparently, because one sees box cars with painted roofs, unpainted
but for seam cap roofs, and even some coasted with asphaltum.

Standard Railroad of the World; not so fast....

Elden Gatwood