Re: SHPX 13141

Ed Hawkins

On Jul 22, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Peter Ness wrote:

Thanks very much for the additional information. I have some photos of
SHPX cars from the late '40's and early '50's in which "SHPX" and the
road number are in a "railroad roman" font. In the photo of SHPX 13141
the fonts are more like a Futura type (i.e., no serif, tails or
whatever). Was there a time period in which SHPX changed their font
style or could it have been up to the lessee or during inspection,
repainting or repair that they style may have changed? Can I tell
anything about what year(s) the car was in this service by the
lettering
style?
Peter,
I looked through a lot of SHPX tank car photos, both builder's and in
service from the late-1920s to the mid-1950s, and the overwhelming
majority had reporting marks and car number stencils in sans-serif
style lettering. As you state, there were some SHPX tank cars that used
serif-style reporting marks and car number stencils (i.e., Railroad
Roman). I found this on cars leased to Sparton Oils (1927-1928),
Southern Alkali (late-1940s to 1952), and Wyandotte Chemicals
(late-1940s to 1952). However, there were at least two examples of SHPX
cars leased to Wyandotte Chemicals had sans-serif lettering, so they
all weren't always consistent. There may have been a few others having
serif-style stencils, but this is what I found doing a relatively quick
search.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins