Re: Raised panel roof replacement

Bill Welch

You are correct Tom. I have too many models in my head. Regardless the correct roof is available with Speedwitch's kit. I am not sure if LNE used the X29 or "1923" style of body but I am sure the Speedwitch kit has the correct part.

The MEC kit comes with a choice of roofs.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "pullmanboss" <tcmadden@...> wrote:

Here's what Ted's web site says about the LNE re-roofed cars:

"The LNE started later [than the MEC], using the diagonal version exclusively (the LNE did buy NEW ARA cars in 1934 that used rectangular panel roofs and Dreadnaught ends, but those cars should not be confused with these more numerous, re-roofed cars.)"

So, the LNE flat-ended re-roofed ARA boxcars use the diagonal panel roof only. That's what's in my two Speedwitch kits of those cars.

Tom Madden

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <fgexbill@> wrote:

Dear Ken

I did the pattern Ted used in his modernized LNE car using the RC X29/1923 kit and I am mystified as to which LNE kit you are referring to from Speedwitch as I think he only offers the rebuilt version with the Murphy roof.

My pattern involved narrowing a styrene Murphy roof (Branchline, with permission) and using the roof furnished with the RC kit as a base to glue it to. I am leaving out details but as to what I did to the kit roof to prepare it as a base because I am too lazy to type them.

The same roof, plus a diagonal paneled which I also did can be come in two versions of a Maine Central re-roofing. I need to redo the pattern for the CNJ rebuild.

Does this help?

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <kobrien1600@> wrote:

I'd like to change the roof of some of my Lehigh & New England Red Caboose X-29 type cars. The last series of L&NE boxes were delivered with raised panel roofs. The original style flat roof leaked and since the LNE hauled bagged cement, better water-tight roofs were needed. I have a Speedwitch conversion kit for an older series LNE car and this started me thinking of this conversion.
The few car pictures I've seen aren't real definitive. I suppose they used a Murphy raised panel roof; these were used by other roads in that area. These roofs had the raised rectangular panels between the roof ribs.

Does anyone make a drop-in replacement roof? I'd like at least two. Thanks.

Ken O'Brien