Re: Black Car Cement on roofs

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 31, 2010, at 7:54 AM, Charlie D modeling the Mopac http://
mopac51.tripod wrote:

Who some of the roads that applied black car cement on their boxcar
roofs during repaints or as maintenance? I know PRR and RI did any
others come up? I've been playing around with black and white oils
paint to replicate the weathering on this roof where the black car
cement is coming off the roof.
Charlie, standard practice on the Santa Fe from ca. 1930 to the early
1950s was to apply black car cement mixed with anti-slip granules on
the roofs of all box and refrigerator cars, both when new and when
repainted. Wood running boards were not black, however, but mineral
brown. Steel running boards were usually left in unpainted
galvanized steel on new cars but painted black when the cars were
repainted later in life. Somewhere in the early-to-mid 1950s,
apparently depending on which car shop did the painting, the black
was discontinued and mineral brown synthetic enamel applied, but
again with anti-skid granules mixed in.

Richard Hendrickson