To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: ggg9y@virginia.edu
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:06:49 -0400
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: That Shorpy freight shed photo...

Stan and friends,

All the factory-painted models of the M&W "Ball" cars I've seen have
been more-or-less a bright yellow (Proto 2000, Mainline and
Train-Miniature come to mind). I would expect this color to be generally
correct, especially if Proto 2000 did their car in yellow. But this car
is about the same color as the PFE reefer at left, a definite orange. Hmmm.

Also of interest are the interiors of the various gondolas. I note that
they are not really colored much by lading, but the composite cars are
largely weathered gray, and the NYC steel car is mostly rust. Also note
the drop bottom car at lower center. The tops of the frame bolsters
show, and are quite rusted.

Finally, I'm quite taken by the little man-powered railway we've
discussed before in relation to another photo of this site. One of the
push cars can be seen near the flatcars with the wood loads. That is
really a neat detail.

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

coronadoscalemodels wrote:
With the article about Muncie & Western "Ball Line" boxcars in the latest RMC (August 2010), here is another Shorpy photo by Jack Delano showing one of these cars in color.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/1605?size=_original

Stan Schwedler
Coronado Scale Models