Re: rebuilt P&LE/PMcY gondolas with extended sides

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., "Eric" <eric@...> wrote:
I believe a similar car is featured in Kline & Culotta's "Postwar Freight Car Fleet" on page 187. The caption reads, "P&LE Lot 326-G 45239 (4500-46999) built as a wood-sided gondola by Standard Steel Car Co. in March 1916. NYC Lines installed 10,500 similar gondolas between 1911 and 1916. Sidestake spacers were used to increase the inside width when the wood sides were replaced with steel.
That's the good photo I'm refering to. You can see the spacers.

The car you point to below looks different to me. I have a couple of good photos of similar cars. See the P&LE gon book.

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-346078.jpg