Re: Cotton Seed Oil Tank Cars

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Charles Etheredge wrote:
What kind of tank cars would have been used to transport cotton seed oil from the local cotton compress during the steam era?
I am currently modeling cotton compresses in two different Texas towns and need some type of cars to haul the oil to the soap manufacturers, potato chip manufacturers, and whereever else the oil would be used. I assume they would be leased tank cars with perhaps the companies' name stenciled on the side.
Secondly, are there any models that would fit or could be kitbashed to be close to prototypical?
Charles, any ICC 103 would be fine. SP made available some of its tank cars for this purpose; doubtless lots of leased cars were so employed also (GATX, SHPX, NATX, etc.), though in the steam era UTLX not so likely. You could certainly use plain black cars with those marks, with 8000-gallon cars probably the likely size. If you know of cottonseed oil companies, you could research to see if they had their own cars (I don't know of any, but haven't looked). If they leased cars and painted their logo on them, you would need photos to find out.

Publishers of books on railroad history