Re: Cotton Seed Oil Tank Cars

al_brown03

IIRC there was an article in one of the journals on cottonseed oil and tank cars for it, within the past 5-10 years. This was a significant industry in east Texas back when. Now to remember where the article is ... the recently discontinued mrmag database was good for this kind of search.

-- frustrated! --

-- Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Charles Etheredge wrote:
What kind of tank cars would have been used to transport cotton seed
oil from the local cotton compress during the steam era?
I am currently modeling cotton compresses in two different Texas
towns and need some type of cars to haul the oil to the soap
manufacturers, potato chip manufacturers, and whereever else the oil
would be used. I assume they would be leased tank cars with perhaps
the companies' name stenciled on the side.
Secondly, are there any models that would fit or could be kitbashed
to be close to prototypical?
Charles, any ICC 103 would be fine. SP made available some of its
tank cars for this purpose; doubtless lots of leased cars were so
employed also (GATX, SHPX, NATX, etc.), though in the steam era UTLX
not so likely. You could certainly use plain black cars with those
marks, with 8000-gallon cars probably the likely size. If you know of
cottonseed oil companies, you could research to see if they had their
own cars (I don't know of any, but haven't looked). If they leased
cars and painted their logo on them, you would need photos to find out.

Publishers of books on railroad history