Re: Cotton Seed Oil Tank Cars

Charles Etheredge

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "earlyrail" <cascaderail@...> wrote:

Quick answer in - none.

A compress was just a warehouse that received cotton bales from the cotton gins and compressed them to make more fit into ships for shipping. These were more or less centralized on the route from the production areas to the using/overseas shipping areas.

Cotton seed oil was processed closer the the gins. Back 80 years ago many of the larger gins have a oil mill located near by. Today the oil mill business is more centralized and the cotton seed is sent to the mill. One modern mill warehouses cotton seed in Mississippi and does its processing in Texas.

Check some Sanborn (or other) fire insurance maps for your time frame.

Howard Garner
True. However, when I mentioned "Cotton Compress", I meant the entire process from ginning to compressing to the processing of the seeds for oil and the byproduct of hulls/meal. The two facilities I am modeling, one in Elgin, Texas and the other in Austin did the whole operation.

Charles Etheredge
Austin, Texas