Re: Cotton Seed Oil Tank Cars

earlyrail

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "nativetexan" <ceth512@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "earlyrail" <cascaderail@> wrote:

Quick answer in - none.

A compress was just a warehouse that received cotton bales from the cotton gins and compressed them to make more fit into ships for shipping. These were more or less centralized on the route from the production areas to the using/overseas shipping areas.
Howard Garner
True. However, when I mentioned "Cotton Compress", I meant the entire process from ginning to compressing to the processing of the seeds for oil and the byproduct of hulls/meal. The two facilities I am modeling, one in Elgin, Texas and the other in Austin did the whole operation.

Charles Etheredge
Austin, Texas
And I was thinking of the Cotton Compress as a stand alone business. Columbia, SC is one location that I know of and there were several in Texas. Even though the cotton was in compressed bales from the gin, a cotton compress business had more powerful compresses and reduced the bale size by at least a third again.

A Cotton Compress was one of those businesses the usually had a "milling in transit" tariff.

Howard Garner
Pickens, SC