Pinning Parts In Place: one more time

Bill Welch

I was looking at photos today of some single sheathed cars and was reminded of another situation where using brass wire to pin a part in place works very well. Many SS cars had a strap that bridged the diagonal & vertical braces to the right of the door permitting it to be opened without being caught by the bracing. Although I have used styrene to replicate this strapping, brass is much better. I trim some brass sheeting to form the strapping. Then I drill a #79 hole in each end, determining the ends after I have formed the brass over the braces. I leave enough strapping to have a little handle on one end. Laying the strapping on the model, I mark where one hole will be drilled into the car side. The pins are made from .012 wire. I pound one end to flatten it and then use one of the pins to hold it on the car side. The pin can be bent on the inside to hold everything in place. Then I position the strapping so I can mark where the second hole will go. Drill and insert the another pin and ACC on the back of the side. Very sturdy and looks very sharp.

I have used this technique on tank cars to secure dome platform brackets make from brass strapping also.

Bill Welch