Re: ERIE single-sheathed box cars

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 15, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Gene wrote:

Looking at the equipment diagram for ERIE box cars 71800-71999
(renumbered from 92500-92699 in 1936 & 1937) these cars seem to
have started life in 1919 as USRA single-sheathed box cars which
were upgraded with AB brakes in 1936 and 1937.

Apparently they were also given steel sides in place of the
original wood sides. Can someone tell me when?
At the same time that they were renumbered, they got steel side
sheathing in place of wood (but kept their original wood sheathed
doors) and Chicago-Climax radial steel roofs, as well as AB brakes.
I have a photo of one after it was renumbered into MW service.

Would either Tichy 4028 or 4032 be the best jumping off point to
model this car?
4032. It has the original USRA side framing with steel sheathing
(4028 has replacement steel sheathed sides).

My stash of decals includes nothing for the ERIE. Couldn't find
anything suitable on Microscale's site. Is the Champ HN-63 the
closest decal or have I missed something somewhere?
Champ HN-63 will give you the lettering needed, as well as the small
heralds.

Richard Hendrickson