From: Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Milling Machines
To: STMFC@...
Date: Monday, August 16, 2010, 2:57 PM
Gentleman

I have been spending time online looking at small milling
machines as
I anticipate some model making/building challenges. For
example one
project could involve cutting apart several SFRD 50-ft
reefer roofs
and reassembling into something very different. This is
something
requiring more precision I believe than a razor saw and
NWSL True
Sander can accomplish. Another task will be to remove
unwanted
material from the surface of something very cleanly. In
addition to
styrene, I imagine work with resin and brass.

So far I have identified three systems:

Sherline--which is the smallest machine at 20.75 inches
high, 33 lbs
and "electronically" controlled motor speed with an
incredible
website with great information that helped me understand
what I will
probably want in terms of a cutting or milling device. Did
not see HP
of the motor stated

Taig is 21 3/8 inches tall and weights 65 lbs and 1/5th HP
motor if I
read and understood it correctly. One dealer has a website
that looks
exhaustive and probably more serious than my needs. More of

dedicated machinist resource

Micromark/Harbor Freight which from what I can tell are the
same
machine appearing under other labels as well. (There is a
Harbor
Freight very near me and I went over to see if the had one
on the
floor but they did not. They did have the equivalent lathe
from the
same manufacturer and it is a serious tool.) It mill has
two variable
speed ranges  with a .47 HP motor, is 110 lbs. and 33
3/4 inches
high. The Micro Mark/Harbor Freight examples are bigger
than I need I
think.

Initially I believe most of my work will be with 3/8 inch
shank "End
Mills" to do the cutting. These cut on the end and the
side.

Pricing on all is fairly close IMO. I am wondering if
anyone on this
list has experience with any of these systems and can
comment on them?

Bill Welch

    STMFC-fullfeatured@...