From: Bill Welch <fgexbill@tampabay.rr.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, August 17, 2010 10:13:04 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Milling Machines

Thanks to all that have contributed so far. Regarding the concern I
expressed about melting styrene, my experience did happen when
drilling into styrene which is obviously different than working on
the edge or surface of a material. Here is another scenario I
anticipate: The Athearn 2-bay rib side hopper is a good
representation of a large group of hoppers owned by the Southern RR
except for the prominent flange along the bottom of the side. I have
tried to remove this by hand but the results were not very good. I
would think that a mill would make this removal very smooth, but was
not sure if high speed would ruin the surface. From what everyone is
saying, I should not worry about this.

The Sherline tool operates up to 2800 RPM. Based on Dennis' comments,
this sounds sufficient for getting clean results with styrene.

One of the first things I did was educate myself on how the cutting
tool should be held for solid and accurate work and "mill end
holders" designed for specific sizes of shanks is the only way to go.
I see now however that I will want to explore the options regarding
smaller shanks and respectively sized holders. Collets and chucks are
not to be used for the operations I envision.

Bill Welch