Re: Reducing 1/48 drawing to 1/87

Nolan Hinshaw

On Aug 19, 2010, at 3:47 PM, Bill Welch wrote:

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit I am drawing a blank on how to
calculate the % for reducing a drawing done in 1/48 to 1/87. While I
am getting over having to ask, can someone help me out?!
You want to make the output smaller than the input, so it's
48/87.1 and some Robert's a sibling to one of your parents.
The key is to determine whether you want to enlarge or reduce.
One bite makes you larger, the other makes you small . . .

A sneaky way is to use a scanner and a program that'll allow
you to change the print size of an image; an even sneakier
way is to use a scanner and a CAD tool to digitize the source
image into a vector file and then just use the re-scale function
in the CAD tool.

I was much better at geometry and trigonometry.

I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now.
--
Nolan Hinshaw, native Californian since 1944
"Every freight train has at least one NP box car"