From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of lnbill
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 12:09 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Pictures of Tools

Thank you Tim, this is sort of what I have in mind. I am realizing I need to be more specific. What I would love to see out pure curiosity is a picture of the cavity in a tool or mold into which the styrene is injected. Ideally it would be a RR subject or something similarly recognizable and not for example a tail light or bottle cap.

Bill Welch, who may be sorry he posted the request.

--- In STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

What I was requesting was photos of the tool(s) used to create plastic kits as I have never seen one.
Bill Welch
Not railroad molds, but I think some of them might be like this
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00pvFECRnDOQru/Plastic-Molds-Injection-Plastic-Molds-Plastic-Mold.jpg

Interesting info and pictures here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_molding

The Branchline mold I saw had lots of holes on the smooth backside,
for the ejector pins and fluid injection.