To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: wpmccoy@...
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 18:35:15 +0000
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Rivet size for Sunshine SAL B7 round top box car roof

Prototype rivet size was the question. I worded it badly. Thanks.

Bill McCoy

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:

Bill, surely you can do simple arithmetic? -- divide 5/8 by 87.1 and
7/8 by 87.1. You'll find the Archer rivets are less than 1/2 the size
of the Tichy rivets, so either size is going to look better. Which one
is exactly right for your prototype can only be known from a blueprint
or other primary source.
Tim O'Connor
I'm building my Sunshine SAL B7 round roof box car. The roof casting ends were concave and had to be sanded square with loss of the roof end rivet detail. I tried Tichy 8017 .020" rivets but I can't get the spacing exactly even. Archer lists 2 size of rivets, 5/8" and 7/8". Which is right for the rivets that attach the car roof to the car ends and sides?
Thanks.
Bill McCoy
Jax, FL