Re: ACCURAIL separate ladders & grabs

Armand Premo

Ray ,I do not consider myself as a "Rivet Counter",but some things about the Accurail Twin hopper really bother me:Some of the detail parts are grossly cast and out of scale,The brake lever is an easy fix.Lack of slope sheet supports is also fixable as is missing interior detail.The unloading mechanism is poorly presented.The car also looks a bit too narrow.Having said all that,I am very pleased with their new triple hopper and gondola.Armand premo

----- Original Message -----
From: Ray Breyer
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: ACCURAIL separate ladders & grabs

>>How would you compare Accurail's twin hopper with
>>Tichy''s?Too much work needs to be done on Accurail's
>>car to make it an acceptable model IMHO.For those who
>>need large numbers of twin hoppers these are merely
>>stand ins.Armand Premo

Hi Armand,

Remember, the Tichy USRA twin hopper is almost 18" too long. Accurails, while having cast-on grabs, are the correct length. That in itself makes the Tichy (Gould) model much more of a foobie than the Accurail.

Accurail hoppers have VERY fine cast-on grabs. For those of us needing to assemble a FLEET of cars, they're pretty much good as-is out of the box. Add cut levers, maybe a few other SMALL free-standing details, and a quality weathering job, and they're done.

And remember: once the cars start rolling all those fine details disappear into a blur of browns and blacks. Superdetailing each and every car to super fine standards might be fun and earn brownie points, but it doesn't get the cars on a layout moving!

Regards,
Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL