Atlas' CN steel rebuild box car...

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Benjamin Hom stated that he didn't know if the "Atlas USRA rebuild" was an accuarate model of a CN car.

Now that I've looked at Atlas' photos of the models in N and HO, I'll put it this way--Foobie alert!

http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/Atlas%20Pages/Atlas%20Pictures/Box-cars/USRA-Rebuilt-Box/45827_CN-O.JPG

for the HO car.

Some personal opinion follows...

Close, but no cigar.

Reporting marks, data, and "CANADIAN NATIONAL" lettering are too large. Leaf herald should be centred on panel next to grabirons. Dimensional data font is too large.

Ends should be flush with the sides.

Roof should be Hutchins Dry Lading for this car number; not a flat, rivetted roof.

Stirrups are wrong.

Door is clunky. Camel door rollers missing handle and poorly reporesented on model. And what is that thing that the door slides in? Even Athearn's 40' steel boxcar lower door track was less crude than this.

You can buy this in HO or N--if you want to...

Steve Lucas.